This weekend is the 182 Annual General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Today consisted of the first three sessions; one in the morning, afternoon and evening. if you missed today’s sessions there are two more tomorrow.
I always enjoy taking notes of the things I most enjoy from the speakers’ talks. Here are some of my highlights from the conference:
Saturday Morning Session
- If I am seeking answers I will find answers.
- If I need to make changes in my life, I will find the strength and courage to do so.
- I can offer more to individuals in need of help.
- Life was never meant to be easy or fair.
- A married couple’s first responsibility is to each other and then to their children.
- Family time is sacred time.
- Heavenly Father knows exactly what I need to be able to return home to Home. He will give me that revelation through the scriptures and Holy Ghost.
- Without experiencing a gospel principle in action it will be difficult to believe in that principle.
- I need to live in such a way that I will learn and expand my understanding of the truth of the principles of the gospel. I will become more self-reliant if I apply this lifestyle.
- This is my time to learn the gospel, repent, and prepare to return to God.
- Activity in the Church is not the goal. Activity in the gospel is of greater.
- I need to fully take advantage of the ordinance of the sacrament.
- Become fully converted to the gospel of Jesus Christ.
- Awakening my desire to know will prepare me to receive answers.
- Patterns are templates and guides to follow God’s plan. Following patterns will allow us to stay humble and discern the voice of the Holy Spirit.
- Having love one to another is one of the keys to progression in the gospel.
- To love the Lord is not just counsel; it is a commandment.
- Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven.
- Sometimes we have to sacrifice our own feelings to further the work.
- If it’s true, then what else matters?
- Can’t I sacrifice a few minutes of my time throughout the day to develop my relationship with the most important person (Heavenly Father) in my life?
- I must be willing, and indeed act in a manner, to sacrifice everything to obtain the promise of eternal life.
- When I have tried all my life to be good, why is this happening to me? All this adversity will give me experience and will be for my good. Fear not what man may do, for God will be with me forever and ever.
- God will protect me and provide a way that I may overcome difficulties and become stronger as a result.
- How exquisite you know not the power of God.
- The ground must be carefully prepared for our foundation of faith to withstand the storms and turmoil of life.
- Every choice I make each day lays the ground for that foundation.
- Trouble itself can be my way to gain unshakeable faith.
- I can build a foundation of faith by loving as the Savior did.
- In all conditions I can follow the guidance of the Holy Spirit. It is never too late to strengthen the foundation of faith.
- To be polished, always move forward and become better than what we are now.
Saturday Afternoon Session
- Don’t dwell on old issues and grievances. Even if all parties cannot settle those old quarrels, they can end with me.
- Forgive. The thing God loves most about being God is the thrill of being merciful.
- Tearing others down does not elevate your standing or improve your image.
- There is no problem that cannot be overcome.
- Step up and respond to the call!
- Accept the atoning gift of Jesus Christ and enjoy the blessings of His labor.
- We should strive to come to ourselves and come back into the light of our Savior’s love. The sacrament gives us the grand opportunity to come to ourselves and experience a mighty change of heart.
- Become spiritually reliant.
- Let go of worldly thoughts and desires.
- It’s as simple as choosing to keep and live the commandments each day.
- The purpose of spiritual and temporal self-reliance is to be prepared and in a position to be an aid to others.
- Have a talk with myself in the mirror and ask, “Where do I stand on living my covenants?”
- Have role models worth emulating.
- Traversing one inch into Satan’s territory will cause the Spirit to withdraw and confusion to prevail. I need to live in a manner that places me in the Lord’s territory.
- I cannot be ashamed of the gospel. This is the way I live.
- What we are speaks so loudly that our children might not hear what we say.
- If I immerse myself in the scriptures, the distance between the Spirit and me will narrow.
- Persistence is the answer, but a sense of humor helps. Temporary setbacks are overshadowed by persistence.
- When one is tone deaf to the music of faith, he or she is out of tune with the spirit.
- We must have the courage to refrain from judging others.
- It is not those who live in the spirit world who should be honored to live with us, it is us who should be honored to live in their presence.
- Giving in to feelings of anger will not bring me joy or salvation.
- We can improve the quality of our experience by making careful and appropriate choices.
- Record impressions immediately or the details will rapidly fade from our memory. Inspirations carefully recorded show the Lord His revelations are sacred.
- The words “sanctify yourself” can be replaced with “keep the Lord’s commandments.”
- Humility is a fertile soil, where spirituality grows and produces the fruit of inspiration.
- Do not live our lives in regret of what we have done or did not do.
- Do not seek for the praise of man when acting as an instrument for the Lord.
- It is much wiser to seek through divine inspiration rather than my own desires and experiences in life. When this is done, there will come a peace in my heart.
- The disposition to do right brings peace and happiness.
- Some leading principles in living righteously: obedience to the commandments, trust in His guidance, and avoidance of anything contrary to the gospel.
- Nothing about the Priesthood is self centered.
- We are agents to act; not objects to be acted upon.
- I will not have the help of heaven if I seek to control or manipulate others.
- Priesthood holders need to act different.
- Go back to the walk of life I had during the mission. That was when I was happiest.
- Don’t be difficult in staying active in the Church. Rid myself of all obstacles.
- To stay and try to return later would be extremely difficult, even near impossible.
- The Lord suffered for me. My commitment is to Him
- The Priesthood gives us access to wonderful powers from heaven.
- Stand up boldly for what you know is true.
- Am I ensuring that I place myself in a position to serve worthily?
- Invigorate marriage and strengthen families.
- Read the scriptures diligently and make it a matter to have faith-filled, earnest prayer.
- “The value of an idea lies in using it.” -Thomas Edison
- The Church is true; the gospel is real; God and Christ really exist and they live.
- The sealing power is the pinnacle power God has given the prophet.
- 4 ways to lift and lead your family:
- Gain and keep a testimony of the Priesthood.
- Love your wife. Put her needs ahead of my own.
- Enlist the entire family to love each other.
- Lead your family in the Lord’s way when discipline in needed.
- Control my temper and pride; then the Holy Ghost will guide my life.
- I will go and do what God has commanded.
- Have ready hands; have willing hands; have worthy hands.
- When selfless service replaces selfish desires when faith replaces doubt, the powers of heaven will accompany me.
Here is a link to some great photos from the Saturday sessions of General Conference.